Assistant Producer, A Paid Summer Internship with a Leading Science Radio Show and Podcast
The Star Spot is a space themed podcast and radio show focusing on all aspects of astronomy and space exploration. The show was awarded “New and Notable” on iTunes and has been featured on CBC’s Podcast Playlist as well as InnerSpace, the flagship program of Canada’s space channel. The Star Spot has interviewed Nobel laureates, astronauts and leaders of major international space missions. It is available on Ryerson Radio, iTunes and at www.thestarspot.ca.
We have been provided with a grant from Canada Summer Jobs to hire an intern to work full-time for eight weeks this fall 2020. The position will focus on The Star Spot’s growth and development, preparing an audience engagement plan, building a new platform for the show on YouTube, and assisting in organizing interviews, debates and news reporting.
Please note that unlike previous years, the Canada Summer Jobs program is now open to both students and non-students, although candidates must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
Applications Due: September 18, 2020
Term: October 19 to December 11, 2020
Status: Full-time, 8 weeks, 32 hours/week
How to Apply: Review the eligibility requirements below. If you are interested, available, and eligible for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume as text, word or PDF attachment, to Executive Producer Justin Trottier at email@example.com.
Roles and Responsibilities
Develop an Audience Engagement Plan
Following research into best practices among educational podcasts as well as surveys conducted of The Star Spot listeners, the intern will develop recommendations for improving the show’s engagement with its audience.
Growth and Development of The Star Spot
The intern will work to further grow the show by: pitching the program to online and conventional radio stations; fundraising to corporations, universities and foundations; Developing a Student Placement Strategy, aimed at appointing student interns to ongoing Assist Production roles.
Build a YouTube Platform for the Show
The Star Spot has been an audio-only podcast for most of its history. Recently a presence has been launched on YouTube and a few preliminary videos episodes have been broadcast. The intern will develop the framework for a regular scheduled program on YouTube. This will include developing a visual brand for the show and troubleshooting the platform technology.
Skills, Attributes and Qualifications
It is no longer a requirement that Canada Summer Jobs applicants be full-time students. However, to be eligible, the Canada Summer Jobs program requires that an applicant:
- (a) is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- (b) is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
- (c) is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
Background and Experience
- Completion or in-process of acquiring relevant post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate from an accredited post-secondary institution. Target domains of study include fundraising, development, marketing, communications, public relations, advertising, promotions, journalism or related areas.
- Experience in marketing, public relations, relationship management, communications and content creation ideal.
- Experience with YouTube video production ideal.
- Experience with marketing campaigns on social media helpful.
- Appreciation and basic understanding for science ideal.
Personality and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals and to develop associated visuals.
- Ability to build strong relationships
- Outstanding organizing, project management, time management and planning skills.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
- Resourceful and proactive in resolving challenges and finding solutions.
- Ability to identify and summarize relevant information.
- Independent self-starter capable of managing and prioritizing multiple, time-sensitive priorities.
- Assertive but not aggressive.
- Knowledge of Adobe creative cloud software a considerable asset.
- High familiarity with common social media networks and YouTube.
- Hands-on experience with WordPress, SEO and Google Analytics helpful.